Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Magic in the Mundane

I think we live in a world of fast paced magic. It's so easy to see the highlight reels of lives around us and compare our mundane day to day to them. To scan pinterest and see all the things you didn't do to make your kids day exciting and fun and pretty. watching other people so glamorously find their magic in motherhood, wondering why we can't find it ourselves. We see the park days, the National whatever holiday celebrations, the travel to exotic locations, the picturesque holiday scenarios. And I think it leaves so many people feeling like they need to create magic everyday, or they've failed. I think the real beauty in motherhood is in the mundane. Anyone can play gorgeous photo reel for a day, do the Disneyland dad thing. And it's beautiful, it really is, but it's not necessarily a measure of success. We are so quick to overlook our own strengths. It takes love and strength just to wake up everyday and push past the feeling of repetition. To accomplish things we never see on instagram or other social media feeds. The heaping loads of laundry, endless supply of dishes, the daily grind of work, feeding unruly toddlers, or getting screaming kids dressed. Doing the things that never seem to get done. The things that don't make glamorous or intriguing photos. The little things that our families couldn't function without us doing. I think the beauty is in the sacrifice. And it's hard to capture that in a picture. as I take a step back this morning while feeding Jos, I realize I may not be the most fun or celebratory mom, but I love my kids fiercely, and my feet hit the ground every morning with the sole intention of meeting their needs the best I can. And I think that is beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I couldn't agree more. I've stopped browsing pinterest because I find that it makes me feel disappointed in the money, time, decor, and parenting skills that I don't have - when really, what I have is awesome! I'm glad you're blogging again, I'm excited to keep reading your stuff!

    ReplyDelete